Re: Fiona 2.0 planning

René Buffat

Maybe regarding https://github.com/Toblerity/Fiona/issues/685 something we should think about is to have an additional iterator having GEOS objects instead of Geojson for the geometries of features. This would eliminate a conversion to geojson and then back to a geos for libraries such as geopandas. However, after a quick look, it looks like OGRGeometry::exportToGEOS (https://www.gdal.org/classOGRGeometry.html#a2ea594db36b7281f73242273e22d62c2) is not available in the gdal c api.

Another issue, but completely unrelated to Fiona 2.0 is, that I think we are currently lacking consistent documentation / beginners guides among the different existing spatial python libraries.  I think this makes it harder for people starting and not having the greatest programming/python skills. Especially, as I have the impression that programming/computer science skills have not enough weight in classical GIS education.

Join dev@fiona.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.