Re: ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create_from_database: Open of /somepath failed

James Crowley

Sean, sorry for the delay, but thank you - we've confirmed it is indeed something to do with PROJ_LIB and appears to be a problem with the way the Azure ML environments are activating conda, as we're able to resolve the issue when explicitly specifying PROJ_LIB. I'll be following up with them.

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 16:52, Sean Gillies <sean.gillies@...> wrote:
Hi,

I have not seen this particular error before. It looks like it comes from https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/6500903dfdaa0ee2cc45ad9c7ce73fa26568a1d1/src/iso19111/factory.cpp#L340. I don't know why that function would be called with a directory name instead of a path that ends in "proj.db". I recommend checking that the directory exists and that the conda environment has been activated, which should set PROJ_LIB in the environment.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 10:29 AM <james.crowley@...> wrote:
When we import fiona (1.8.21) into our python code in our cloud environment, we get this output:

ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create_from_database: Open of /azureml-envs/azureml_eb032fe1f869faa13ce487e1362e6627/share/proj failed

We're using Conda to load the dependency. Can anyone explain why this error likely occurs? It's on the Azure ML pipelines. We don't have any issues using GDAL directly.

Many thanks

Sean Gillies