Re: How to import GDAL embedded in new Fiona wheels

Joris Van den Bossche

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 at 11:27, <tgrandje@...> wrote:

Thanks.

So when Fiona's release states that 1.9a3 wheels "include GDAL 3.5.2, PROJ 9.0.1, and GEOS 3.11.0", what do they really include? The C++ core of GDAL?

I mean if I have to reinstall the GDAL package (which I allready tried, but ended in another error, possibly linked to a misconfiguration of virtual environement), won't I end up with two GDAL cores? How can that be a good solution?
If you want to have both Fiona and the GDAL python bindings installed,
you cannot do that using pip with binary wheels. Possible solution are
to installing those packages from source (building them yourself), or
to use the conda package manager.

Joris

(Note that I'm not critical of Fiona including GDAL; I'm 100% gratefull for it as it was my major trouble for switching between linux and windows)