Re: How to import GDAL embedded in new Fiona wheels

Joris Van den Bossche

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 at 11:55, <tgrandje@...> wrote:

I'm gratefull for the comments, though I'm still lost.

It does not help that Fiona's homepage (on pypi) seems out of date (for instance, last test I did on windows, everything went fine with only a "pip install Fiona", including using other packages like rasterstats). Should I raise an issue on Github or do I have it all wrong (I'm still not clear on what is embedded in Fiona wheels) ?
That indeed seems outdated (there are now wheels for Windows as well),
so it would be good to raise an issue about that.

In any case, I'd say that those remarks about building from source when requiring both osgeo and fiona needs to be stated in documentation. I mean by that that people using Fiona are prone to use other packages built on GDAL. (I suspect it also means I can't build a package with poetry if both GDAL and Fiona are required.)

And to sum it up regarding to my first question: so there is no way to change those packages to substitute a Fiona dependency rather than an osgeo call ?
No, the APIs of Fiona or gdal python bindings are completely
different, so it's up to the package to make a choice which one to
take as a dependency.