Re: Fiona 1.8.9 and GDAL 3

Howard Butler

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 4:06 PM Sean Gillies <sean.gillies@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Lack of support from the fiona package for GDAL 3.0 has become unbearable. We won't make you wait for 1.9.0 and will instead have a 1.8.9 release that is compatible with GDAL versions 1.11 through 3.0. The planned release date is next Monday, 2019-10-21.

Please note that the wheels published to PyPI for 1.8.9 will contain GDAL version 2.4.2. If you require GDAL 3.0, you will need to install it separately and install the non-binary fiona package (like `python -m pip install --no-binary fiona fiona`) or use conda and install fiona from the conda-forge channel, which is more than ready to drop support for GDAL 2.x.

Switching the PyPI wheels over to GDAL 3.0 and PROJ 6.x is a bit of a lift and is not yet scheduled. It may be part of the 1.9.0 release.

Thanks for your patience!

Sean,

The new GDAL 3.0 PR works for me and should provide a good stopgap. Have you thought about how far back into GDAL that Fiona will support? Ditching all the 1.x stuff would throw off some burden. The GDAL Barn stuff is likely to leak into Fiona if it tries to support both old and new as well. I'm sure you've run into these issues with rasterio already, however, so maybe Fiona will follow suit with the strategy you're using to handle the transition there.

Howard