Extremely slow performance with shapefile and geopackage

davideps@...

Hi folks,

I loaded a 5GB CSV file, turned lat/long into points, and have tried to save as shapefile and geopackage. At first, I ran into problems with datetime and tuple columns, which I've since turned to STR or dropped entirely. However, after an hour I still was not able to save. Lines like:
geodata.to_file(filename=data_dir+"data.shp"driver = 'ESRI Shapefile')
geodata.to_file(data_dir+"data.gpkg"driver="GPKG")
seem to hang with empty files written to disk. When I kill the line in the interpreter, sometimes data gets written at the last minute--sometimes not. Are there common dateframe or geometry problems I should check first?

-david