RFC: Roadmap for Shapely 2.0

Joris Van den Bossche

Dear list,

This is not directly a Fiona-related message, but I assume there might be some of you that are also Shapely users. For those, I want to get across a message about a proposal for Shapely 2.0 (and if not, you can skip the rest of the message ;)).

There is a proposal for some significant changes in Shapely: "RFC 1: Roadmap for Shapely 2.0" (https://github.com/shapely/shapely-rfc/pull/1).

Background: we have been working on a new set of Python bindings to GEOS in the PyGEOS package (https://github.com/pygeos/pygeos/). The initial focus was to make it easier and more performant to work with arrays of geometries (where Shapely is now focused on scalar geometries). See https://caspervdw.github.io/Introducing-Pygeos/ for some more details. While this separate package made it easier to experiment (and which we are still doing), on the long term, it's not ideal to have two incompatible GEOS wrappers in the Python ecosystem. Therefore, the proposal linked above is about upstreaming this work into Shapely, along with some API changes.

Given that this are some profound changes to Shapely, feedback from Shapely users would be very much appreciated!

Best,
Joris