Re: Rasterio-style GDAL bundling

Sean Gillies

Hi Michael,

The FIona and Rasterio wheels on the Python package index bundle GDAL in the same way. The wheel building infrastructure runs on Travis CI and is maintained in this repo: https://github.com/sgillies/fiona-wheels. It's based on the software that is used to create wheels for Numpy and SciPy. We only provide wheels for OS X and manylinux (version 1) at this time.

Yours,

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 7:25 AM <michaelm@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to use Fiona in a project to provide Python geopackage support, but would like to avoid users having to independently install GDAL to make it work, i.e. I'd like to make self-contained binary wheels. There's a nice approach in rasterio where it bundles its own GDAL. Would something like that be possible in Fiona? I'd be happy just for some pointers on how to develop that functionality, whether it makes it into the main branch or not.

Thanks and regards,
Michael

--
Sean Gillies