Re: installing Fiona and conflicting instillation information for Windows

Simon Norris

I have used conda on windows - it makes gdal/fiona/rasterio/geopandas installation much easier:

conda create -n myenv
conda activate myenv
conda config --env --add channels conda-forge
conda config --env --set channel_priority strict
conda install gdal
conda install fiona
conda install rasterio

On Nov 25, 2020, at 12:12 PM, René Buffat <buffat@...> wrote:

I have to say it is a long time ago since I used these wheels on Windows. From what I remember there was no need to set any paths. However, it was important to install all the necessary dependencies (MS C++ redistributable, pip, numpy, gdal etc.). But this could have changed.

An alternative would be to use conda. The benefit of using conda is that you can install packages over an index and you don't have to install them manually. Fiona is available in conda-forge: https://github.com/conda-forge/fiona-feedstock However, I never used conda on Windows, thus I can't say too much about it.