Re: installing Fiona and conflicting instillation information for Windows

Eyal Saiet

I uninstalled and reinstalled  osgeo/gdal , rasterio, and fiona. This time I did not get any installation error. But get a dll error when trying to import fiona.
Previously I installed all the required dependencies.
As well added to User Enviroment Variables
Path= C:\Users\esaiet\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\Lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal301.dll
Path= C:\Users\esaiet\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\Lib\site-packages\osgeo\data

image.png
How is rasterio working and fiona not?

Thanks for the conda suggestion, I have been successful in the past not using conda, which enables me to create small size tools.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 3:13 PM Simon Norris <snorris@...> wrote:
I have used conda on windows - it makes gdal/fiona/rasterio/geopandas installation much easier:

conda create -n myenv
conda activate myenv
conda config --env --add channels conda-forge
conda config --env --set channel_priority strict
conda install gdal
conda install fiona
conda install rasterio

https://geopandas.org/install.html

On Nov 25, 2020, at 12:12 PM, René Buffat <buffat@...> wrote:

I have to say it is a long time ago since I used these wheels on Windows. From what I remember there was no need to set any paths. However, it was important to install all the necessary dependencies (MS C++ redistributable, pip, numpy, gdal etc.). But this could have changed.

An alternative would be to use conda. The benefit of using conda is that you can install packages over an index and you don't have to install them manually. Fiona is available in conda-forge: https://github.com/conda-forge/fiona-feedstock However, I never used conda on Windows, thus I can't say too much about it.

--

Eyal Saiet