Re: Attempting to find version of GDAL installed

Sean Gillies

We provide wheel distributions for only a small group of platform tags and Python versions. See https://pypi.org/project/Fiona/1.8.18/#files. I suspect your CI/CD server's pip program finds a compatible wheel, but your dev machine cannot. In that case, pip on your dev machine will take the source distribution, the .tar.gz file.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021, 12:44 AM Orry Messer <orry@...> wrote:
Thanks Sean!

Well, it appears that the libgdal shared library which fiona is linking resides in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fiona/.libs, rather than /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib - which leads me to believe that fiona has obtained its GDAL dependencies from PyPI.

What I am struggling with, is that locally, on my dev machine, fiona does not seem to be getting GDAL dependencies from PyPI, where as on my CI/CD server, it is getting its dependencies and so the result of "pip install fiona" works. Do you have any idea why this may be the case?

- Orry