Cannot install Fiona on Mac OS, GDAL installed via homebrew

amit@...

Hey,

This is my first interaction with Fiona (and geo-related platforms in general), I ended up here after failing to install `geoplot` and `geopandas` using a package manager (Poetry), and finally pinned it down to issues installing Fiona.

I cannot seem to install Fiona. This is what I am currently doing:

1. Install GDAL through hombrew (`brew install gdal`)
2. Create a new venv (named `fiona_test`), using Python 3.9.0 (managed by pyenv).
3. Activate the venv.
4. run `gdal-config --version` seems to be fine -> shows `3.2.1`
5. run `pip install fiona` -> results in error.

Running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.17.

Full error on terminal is attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Amit

Sean Gillies

Hi Amit,

I haven't seen this error before, but I also stopped developing fiona on macOS two years ago. High Sierra was what I was using. https://stackoverflow.com/a/61526989/159235 looks like it could be relevant.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:33 AM <amit@...> wrote:
Hey,

This is my first interaction with Fiona (and geo-related platforms in general), I ended up here after failing to install `geoplot` and `geopandas` using a package manager (Poetry), and finally pinned it down to issues installing Fiona.

I cannot seem to install Fiona. This is what I am currently doing:

1. Install GDAL through hombrew (`brew install gdal`)
2. Create a new venv (named `fiona_test`), using Python 3.9.0 (managed by pyenv).
3. Activate the venv.
4. run `gdal-config --version` seems to be fine -> shows `3.2.1`
5. run `pip install fiona` -> results in error.

Running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.17.

Full error on terminal is attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Amit

--
Sean Gillies

amit@...

Hi Sean, 

Thanks for your reply, and the relevant link - my issue came down to simply not having a properly updated and configured SDK version, once I took care of that, it works with out issues.

If anyone else comes across the same issue, here is what I did to solve it:

1. Download and install the lates version of [XCode](https://developer.apple.com/xcode/)
2. Browse to "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs"
3. Ensure that the alias "MacOSX.sdk" points to the proper SDK version (mine has been pointing to "MacOSX11.1.sdk" instead of the appropriate "MacOSX10.15.sdk" - I am not sure when how or why happened exactly)
4. Install fiona

camille.modeste@...

Hi, 

I got the same issue, with pipenv, running on Python 3.9.4. Setting Python to 3.9.1 solved this issue.

Jack Jomarron

Thank you for your help!

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 11:35 AM <camille.modeste@...> wrote:
Hi, 

I got the same issue, with pipenv, running on Python 3.9.4. Setting Python to 3.9.1 solved this issue.

--
Jack Jomarron