Cannot install Fiona on Mac OS, GDAL installed via homebrew

jackjomarron@...

Thank you for your help!

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 11:35 AM <camille.modeste@...> wrote:
Hi,

I got the same issue, with pipenv, running on Python 3.9.4. Setting Python to 3.9.1 solved this issue.

--
Jack Jomarron

camille.modeste@...

Hi,

I got the same issue, with pipenv, running on Python 3.9.4. Setting Python to 3.9.1 solved this issue.

amit@...

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply, and the relevant link - my issue came down to simply not having a properly updated and configured SDK version, once I took care of that, it works with out issues.

If anyone else comes across the same issue, here is what I did to solve it:

1. Download and install the lates version of [XCode](https://developer.apple.com/xcode/)
2. Browse to "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs"
3. Ensure that the alias "MacOSX.sdk" points to the proper SDK version (mine has been pointing to "MacOSX11.1.sdk" instead of the appropriate "MacOSX10.15.sdk" - I am not sure when how or why happened exactly)
4. Install fiona

Sean Gillies

Hi Amit,

I haven't seen this error before, but I also stopped developing fiona on macOS two years ago. High Sierra was what I was using. https://stackoverflow.com/a/61526989/159235 looks like it could be relevant.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:33 AM <amit@...> wrote:
Hey,

This is my first interaction with Fiona (and geo-related platforms in general), I ended up here after failing to install `geoplot` and `geopandas` using a package manager (Poetry), and finally pinned it down to issues installing Fiona.

I cannot seem to install Fiona. This is what I am currently doing:

1. Install GDAL through hombrew (`brew install gdal`)
2. Create a new venv (named `fiona_test`), using Python 3.9.0 (managed by pyenv).
3. Activate the venv.
4. run `gdal-config --version` seems to be fine -> shows `3.2.1`
5. run `pip install fiona` -> results in error.

Running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.17.

Full error on terminal is attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Amit

--
Sean Gillies

amit@...