fiona.open returns empty collection array when using GPX files with tracks but don't include UTF-8 encoding

tlstratton@...

Hi,
  I'm new to Fiona and geospatial in general but so far I have been able to open 90% of GPX files and use transform_geom to get geojson formatted and returned from an endpoint. My issue is that occasionally certain files seem to open correctly but contain no data but I know the GPX file has data. I can't figure out what the issue is... these files both open fine in qgis so I know they are somewhat valid. Any ideas?

I've attached two examples.
Here's what I use to open the files:
fiona.open(file, layer='tracks') ... I also tried: fiona.open(file, layer='track_points')